Sunday, February 26, 2012

Politics

Okay, so here's the thing. Pretty much everywhere in the world where I could conceivably live is effed up right now or could soon be, in one way or another. Maybe this has always been the case, but I'm only starting to notice it.
Any suggestions for happy places to live?

North America:

The United States: The opposition party is offering up the likes of Romney, Santorum, and Gingrich. Really?? That's who the Republicans are okay with? I hope Obama wins; but if he doesn't, I am screwed for the next 4 years. Unless Romney has been, as I suspect, running his campaign on buckets of lies and ends up somehow winning and actually being kind of a wishy-washy oily moderate. That would be less horrible, if rather bizarre.

Mexico: Stuck between a right-wing nutjob, a left-wing nutjob, and a dirty-ass politico leech. I really wouldn't be happy with any of them. Also I'm pretty sure all of them are considering rigging the elections. Ick, ick, ick.

Canada: So many things are wrong with Canada that should not be wrong with Canada. Healthcare? Unbelievable. Copyright law? Incredible. How slow their Internet connections are? Dealbreaker. Sorry, Canada.

South America:

Argentina: I guess Argentina's doing okay, but I can't understand anything they say anyway.

Venezuela: Hugo Chavez.

Chile: I wish they wouldn't have elected Pinera. He's like Silvio Berlusconi crossed with Carlos Slim.


Europe:

Berlusconi in Italy, Greece in a mess, the north is too expensive, the south's in distress; Russia's a headache, the UK's a snob; I guess I could move to Ireland or Denmark or ... Borisov?
No, but see, Belarus has major socio-political issues, like most of Eastern Europe. Still in danger of ethnic cleansing, invasion by foreign powers, or the collapse of civilization as we know it. (I'm exaggerating, but you know).
Ireland has lots of issues too.
Denmark and the Netherlands - I could do those. If I could afford it. Or Switzerland? I guess? If I was 50 years older and on a hefty pension...

Asia:

China? No.
Guess maybe I could live in South Korea or Japan. Maybe. It'd be insane, but yeah. Or Singapore?

Africa:

North, Central, and Southern Africa are all a mess and a half, but in different ways. Just hearing about it makes me whimper and be grateful for Mexico.

Australia & Oceania:

NOW we're talkin'. I could do New Zealand. Live in a hut with some sheep. There's the life.

Antarctica:

No.



So I have realized I'm super-picky and I guess that means I should try to eke out my life wherever I end up, because eventually those problems will be my problems, and hey, I want to be involved in my country's politics, wherever that ends up being. Even if it means I'll fight a losing battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment